Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Family Law: What Should You Do if You Can’t Afford to Pay Child Support?

Dealing with matters of family law, such as child support, can be challenging. Even though you probably certainly have no problem with paying child support to help take care of your children, if you are unable to pay as much as the court is requiring you to, it can put you in a tough situation. Then, you could face all sorts of consequences — including jail time — for not keeping up with your child support. Luckily, there are a few steps that you can take when you can’t afford to pay your child support.

Pay What You Can
Just because you can’t keep up with your child support payments does not mean that you should give up entirely. Paying whatever you can, whenever you can will help keep you from getting too far behind. It can also look good in your favor if you have to go to court, since you can prove that you were making an effort to pay — even if you weren’t able to pay the full amount — rather than giving up on your responsibilities.

Gather Documentation
If you are planning on going to court to ask for reduced child support, or if you are facing court because you haven’t been making your payments, you will need as much documentation to prove your case as possible. If you have been sick or injured and unable to work, gathering up doctor’s notes, proof of hospital stays and other similar documentation can help. If you have had a reduction in hours or pay at work, bringing in copies of recent check stubs and bank statements can also help.

Hire a Lawyer
When you can’t even afford to pay your child support, it might seem impossible to pay an attorney. However, a family law lawyer can help significantly with your case. If you are looking for an attorney you can count on during this tough time, contact us at the Law Office of Lamb and Lamb PC today.

Email Us
close slider

Get A Case Evaluation

We are happy to provide a consultation to all first time clients.

Please complete the form below and we will contact you.